|Copyright: Orlando Sentinel (link)|
But University isn't just about the social life, it's also about your course and your grades. Below are 5 quick tips to give you the headstart this September. The worst thing you can do is fall behind, simply because of lack of effort.
1. Download the lecture resources, which is usually good old PowerPoint (if available) to your iPad/Laptop and do research on the specific topics covered a couple of days in advance. Evernote is a great way to keep track of notes on all your devices.
2. Set your own deadlines. If your project is due on a Friday at midday, create your own deadline to get the entire project (that means the evaluation aswell!) completed for the Tuesday/Wednesday. This avoids copious amounts of stress, and you can always tweak things at the last moment if needed.
3. Remember to ask for help. This is a funny one, I know you're rolling your eyes, thinking back to the thousands of times that your parents have repeated the same line, but how often do you really ask for help when you know you need it. You wouldn't be doing a degree if you already know everything.
4. Start looking for potential industrial placements early. The all important industrial placement year will soon come around. Make sure you get the best pickings on offer, before they get snatched up last minute by your fellow classmates who are all scambling around frantically.
5. Remember to enjoy yourself. You chose architecture because you love the subject, right? So always remember to enjoy youself, and put all the motivation that's being building up over the Summer holidays into the first term of classes, and things will hopefully go smoothly after that, just try not to think about your student debt!